| New Delhi |
Published:September 30, 2017 4:07 pm
October is a time for holidays in India. Even if you do not celebrate Dussehra, you can still have fun now that countless American and British TV shows from Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Hotstar are available at your fingertips. Here, we give you a list of ten TV shows that are worth bingeing on. These shows cater to different tastes and there is enough for everybody. So, what are you waiting for? Go watch!
1. Rick and Morty: This show is currently making waves around the world. An adult animated show, it is based on two characters. The first is Morty, a harried, inclined to fret and a little soft in the head grandson of the genius, curt and sarcastic scientist Rick. The show takes you to parallel worlds, other universes and what have you. The episodes are only 22 minute long but they pack a lot of humour and fun. Take our word, once you begin to watch it, it’s really tough to stop. You can stream it on Netflix.
2. The Leftovers: This show is a rarity as it even after being an HBO show and good one at that, it did not receive a lot of attention. In The Leftovers, 2% of the world’s population simply disappears. You might think 2% is almost nothing, but when it comes to the total number of people in the world, it is a lot. The show revolves around how people are dealing with the aftermath. Stream it on Hotstar.
3. Seinfield: This probably needs no introduction as almost everybody who watches American TV shows has at least heard about it. Seinfield is to sitcom as The Lord of the Rings is to fantasy. Sure, there were a lot of sitcoms before Seinfield, it kind of made it mainstream. And the most amazing thing is Jerry Seinfield’s comedy is not hurtful, offensive or full of cusswords. He is one of the cleanest comedians out there and also the funniest. Stream Seinfield on Amazon Prime Video.
4. Penny Dreadful: Eva Green stars as a woman fighting dark forces in this John Logan show. This Showtime show is basically based on the concept that mental strength is as important as physical strength. The men around Eva’s character Vanessa Ives fight the minions of the Devil and Dracula, but it is Vanessa herself who really takes on the two villains. Stream Penny Dreadful on Amazon Prime Video and Netflix.
5. The Deuce: The creator of HBO’s The Wire is at it again. This time, he attempts an ultra-realistic show on a social issue. It is about the birth of porn industry and the show is as nuanced as you expect. This probably won’t be called the best show ever as The Wire is repeatedly called, but The Deuce should be able to make its own unique place in history. James Franco and Maggie Gyllenhaal star in the show. Stream it on Hotstar.
5. Stranger Things: Save for House of Cards, no other show has brought in more critical appreciation for Netflix than Stranger Things. A bunch of children team up to save their friend who has been abducted by a monster and taken to a parallel world. The second season will begin airing late October, so make sure you finish the first season before that. Watch it on Netflix.
6. Fear the Walking Dead: Initially called the poor man’s The Walking Dead, this spinoff of the famous AMC show has established itself as a solid and well-acted show. It does nothing different from its parent show but second season onwards, it has finally managed to make us, the viewers, care about the characters and what is happening to them. The writing is good, the zombies are still just plot device and the real villains remain the human (alive ones). Watch it on Amazon Prime Video and Netflix.
7. Bates Motel: A prequel of the classic Alfred Hitchcock film, Bates Motel tells the story of Normal Bates from when he was a kid. The acting is superb, both by Freddie Highmore as Norman Bates and Vera Farmiga as his mother Norma Bates. There is uneasy, almost incestuous tension between the duo and that is the biggest strength of this show. Sometimes scary and sometimes creepy, Bates Motel is a worthy prequel.
8. The Exorcist: A brand new take on the cult horror film of 1973, The Exorcist feels fresh all thanks to the writing and acting. Created by Jeremy Slater, this show is relentlessy scary and never lets up. At the same time, it does not compromise on the character depth. While nowhere near as good as the original film (what is?), it is legitimately scary and worth watching in a stormy night with a cup of coffee in your hands.
9. American Horror Story: One of the most twisted shows you will ever see, American Horror Story puts the dark in dark television. It is an anthology as in every season of this show tells a different story albeit many actors do return. Currently its seventh season called Cult streams on Hotstar.
10. Luther: Starring Idris Elba as the titular detective, Luther is basically Sherlock with psychological problems. Elba’s character is complex and conflicted. He has to deal not only with horrible crimes he comes across and has to solve, but also with his inner demons, his tendency for violence and his troubles with his wife. This BBC show also stars Indira Varma and is a very well-acted and written show. You can stream it on Netflix.
© IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd